URI Gets First Win, 84-68 Over South Florida
Sunday, November 29, 2020
The Rams are now 1-2 on the season after two disappointing losses. USF is now1-1on the season.
This was the Rams third game played at Mohegan Sun's Bubbleville.GET THE LATEST BREAKING NEWS HERE -- SIGN UP FOR GOLOCAL FREE DAILY EBLAST
How Rams Won
The Rams were led by the backcourt of Fatts Russell and Jeremy Sheppard — the senior transfer. Russell scored 15 points and Sheppard with 11.
The backcourt has been nothing short of spectacular this season while the Rams in general have been less than consistent.
Arguably the Rams lost their first two games at the free throw line — READ HERE.
The Rams shot 85% for the game Saturday from the free throw line.
URI Coach David Cox extended the bench and ten Rams played more than ten minutes. The Rams realized the benefit with 37 points from the bench.
- Sophomore Makhel Mitchell made the first start of his career and he set career highs with 11 points and four blocked shots in 20 minutes.
- Redshirt junior Antwan Walker scored eight points before fouling out. He was a perfect 6-for-6 at the line.
- Rhode Island decreased turnovers - the Rams had just 11 turnovers. They had 17 against Arizona State and 15 against Boston College.
- After starting the game 0-for-7 from 3-point range in the first half, Rhody was 4-of-10 in the second half.
- Fatts Russell moved into a tie for fourth place in team history with his 175th steal, matching the total of Andre Samuel (1990-94)
Rhode Island will remain in Mohegan Sun's Bubbleville to for one more game. The Rams play San Francisco on Sunday at 5:30 p.m. on ESPN2.
The University of Rhode Island got its first win of the year on Saturday, with 84-68 over the University of South Florida. The Rams led for the entire game.
The Rams are now 1-2 on the season after two disappointing losses.
- Can PC and URI Beat Coronavirus and Have a College Basketball Season?
- URI Rams Lose to Undermanned BC—Miss Half Their Free Throws
- URI Rams Lose 94-88 to #18 Arizona State University in Opener