Russell Fuels URI’s Win Over San Francisco — 84-71
Sunday, November 29, 2020
The Rams were led by Fatts Russell, who had 21 points and went 11 for 11 from the line.
The Rams won 84-71.GET THE LATEST BREAKING NEWS HERE -- SIGN UP FOR GOLOCAL FREE DAILY EBLAST
Three other Rams scored in double figures including Antwan Walker with 14, Jalen Carey and Ishmael Leggett with 11 each. Walker also led the team with 10 rebounds.
Rams, Who Lost on the Line, Now Win on the Line
The Rams first two losses this weekend — Arizona State University and Boston College — could be tied to poor shooting on the free-throw line.
In the Rams' wins on Saturday and again on Sunday against San Francisco, URI shot 85%.
Jamaree Bouyea led San Francisco with 22 points and Dzmitry Ryuny had 19.
- It was the third time in four games Rhode Island had four scorers in double digits.
- Walker was 6-of-7 from the floor and 2-for-2 at the line.
- Sophomore Makhi Mitchell is 12-for-14 from the line over the last two games. All of his scoring in the games has come on free throws.
- URI got 34 points from its bench. Through four games, the Ram bench is averaging 27.5 points per game.
- San Francisco shot just 29.4% from the floor in the first half. The Dons were 10-for-34, the third straight game Rhode Island has held its opponent to 10 or fewer field goals.
The Rams play Seton Hall on Wednesday night.
The URI Rams evened their record at 2-2 and beat a strong San Francisco team on Sunday that had upset #4 University of Virginia on Friday.
- URI Guard Russell Named to 2021 Bob Cousy Award Watch List
- URI Rams Lose 94-88 to #18 Arizona State University in Opener
- URI Rams Lose to Undermanned BC—Miss Half Their Free Throws
- Can PC and URI Beat Coronavirus and Have a College Basketball Season?
- URI Gets First Win, 84-68 Over South Florida