Special Olympics RI Super Plunge is 24-Hour Test of Spirit and Testament to Community
Saturday, March 07, 2020
Super Plunge” coming up on March 21 and 22 at Salty Brine Beach in Galilee is just not any plunge — and Special Olympics’ Rick LaBreche joined GoLocal LIVE to talk about why.
The Super Plunge is a spin on a traditional plunge, where a team of individuals plunge into near-freezing water once every hour for a 24 hour period — 24 hours, 24 plunges, full submersion.
LaBreche, who will be taking part in his 6th plunge, with the event in its eighth year, talked about how the event not only raises money for Special Olympics, but creates camaraderie amongst participants.GET THE LATEST BREAKING NEWS HERE -- SIGN UP FOR GOLOCAL FREE DAILY EBLAST
Special Olympics' DeJesus Issues Challenge
In addition, the state’s unified champion schools will participate in their own plunge on March 21 at noon at Roger Wheeler Beach — and LaBreche said that Special Olympics’ CEO Dennis DeJesus announced that this year, he would “plunge” for the first time ever if the schools raise $75,000.
“It’s a wonderful partnership. They do their own plunge, and half the money goes to the Special Olympics, and half the money goes to their schools,” said LaBreche.
“Special Olympics, it’s a soft spot,” said LaBreche, who is a Special Olympics parent, uncle, and staunch supporter. “People are very generous, we’ve very fortunate team-wise — we set a goal of $135,000.”
Special Olympics Rhode Island’s “Super Plunge” coming up on March 21 and 22 at Salty Brine Beach in Galilee is just not any plunge — and Special Olympics’ Rick LaBreche joined GoLocal LIVE to talk about why.
- 40th Annual Penguin Plunge Benefiting Special Olympics RI Set for New Year’s Day
- Special Olympics of RI Set for State Summer Games This Weekend
- LIVE: “We’re Not Just A Team, We’re a Family” Miller Preps for Special Olympics RI Summer Games
- Rep. Winfield to be Honored by Special Olympics RI
- Special Olympics RI Holiday Auction Open for Bidding
- Special Olympics Starts Holiday Auction on Sunday, December 7
- Salve to Host 30th Annual East Bay Special Olympics
- Dunkin’ Donuts Gives Big to Special Olympics RI
- RI Special Olympics’ 17th Annual Christmas Online Auction
- UPDATED:Two Special Olympians Make A Movie About Zombies in RI
- Special Olympics 2017 State Summer Games to Host Over 1,500 Athletes
- Monday on LIVE: Vassar’s Prof. Mills, Special Olympics RI’s Powers & Business Monday
- 24-Hour “Super Plunge” at Salty Brine Beach to Benefit Special Olympics Rhode Island
- RI Special Olympics Athletes Return With Gold Medals from World Games
- Cicilline to Lead Bipartisan Effort to Preserve Over $28 Million for Special Olympics
- Upcoming RI State Summer Games “Are Our Super Bowl,” Says Special Olympics’ DeJesus on LIVE
- VIDEO: Special Olympics RI Athletes Depart from T.F. Green for 2019 World Games in Abu Dhabi
- Special Olympics’ RI DeJesus on 50th Anniversary Gala on LIVE
- LIVE: Special Olympics RI’s Powers On Ending Use Of The R-Word