Opening Italy Back up to Tourists - and Soccer: New England Native da Silva LIVE from Bolzano
Wednesday, May 27, 2020
“It’s hard not to be diligent,” said da Silva of following the mask and glove-wearing — and the temperature-taking — requirements in Italy.GET THE LATEST BREAKING NEWS HERE -- SIGN UP FOR GOLOCAL FREE DAILY EBLAST
“The people who work, the people who run establishments are responsible for enforcing these rules. So for example my friend went to the mall the other day and she got her temperature taken twice with [a] touch-screener,” she said. “When you walk into a supermarket here for example they give you a set of disposable plastic gloves — and you’re not allowed in if you’re not wearing a mask."
As Italy begins to open — and welcome back tourists — da Silva said there are still concerns.
“I’ll be really interested to see what happens with the non-EU [tourists],” she said. “Whether they’re allowed to come in or not because on the one hand, yes we want tourists, on the other hand, it’s like we did the work to slow this down and to keep it off our streets as much we can, so let’s make sure we don’t hit ourselves with the second wave just by welcoming tourists in August."
According to da Silva, some of the biggest talk is around having soccer played again — with a key meeting coming up on May 28 to decide how to move forward.
Connecticut native Rebecca Couto da Silva appeared on GoLocal LIVE from Bolzano, Italy, where she talked about how the country is reopening now after the coronavirus crisis, and what the concerns are.
- LIVE from Italy: Economy Starts to Reopen, But Masks - and Gloves - Required
- “Follow Social Distancing Rules,” Connecticut Native Living in Italy Urges Americans
- EDITORIAL: Time to Shut Down RI - Save Lives By Being More Like China, Less Like Italy
- LIVE From Italy: “We Thought This Wouldn’t Apply to Us” - American on Countywide Lockdown
- LIVE from Italy: “People Are Upset Because We Don’t Have What Was Expected”
- New Englander in Italy Gives Advice on Face Covering During Coronavirus — LIVE
- Latest From Italy: Exercising - and Fines - During Coronavirus
- Northern Italy’s “Little Steps” to Reopen Economy: New England Native da Silva LIVE
- Life Doesn’t Stop in a Pandemic: American in Italy on Death - and Dentists - During Coronavirus
- Practice Physical Distancing But Socially Connect, Go Easy on Yourself - American in Italy’s Advice