10 New RI Coronavirus Cases, Total Now 33: Raimondo Announces 2 Weeks Remote Learning for Schools
Thursday, March 19, 2020
“After a great deal of consideration and collaboration with teachers, superintendents, we have made a decision,” said Raimondo. “March 23 thorough Friday April 3 will be distance learning.”GET THE LATEST BREAKING NEWS HERE -- SIGN UP FOR GOLOCAL FREE DAILY EBLAST
“After 2 weeks we will evaluate how it’s going and will determine what we will do for remainder of school year,” said Raimondo of the directive to K-12 public schools.
Raimondo said that while multiple states have canceled school for the remainder of the year, she was not ready to take that step.
“I’m not willing to throw in the towel — I think that some learning is better than no learning,” she said.
“It’s never been done before in America, not just RI - but I think we’re ready to do it,” said Raimondo
Raimondo had a special message for students.
“Students — this is not two weeks of extended vacation. This is learning from home — with as much effort as if you were in school.”
Utilities and Unemployment
"All regulated utilities - electric, gas, water and swear cannot be terminated for any reason as we deal with this crisis, other than dealing with safety," announced Raimondo.
Of the TDI and unemployment claims pending, Raimondo said, "We will pay them all."
Rhode Island Governor Gina Raimondo announced Wednesday that there were ten additional cases of coronavirus confirmed in the state overnight, bringing the total to 33 — and that she is instructing remote learning for two weeks for public schools following this week's break.
- WATCH LIVE: Monday PM Coronavirus Update with Raimondo and RI Officials
- Providence Place Mall Closed for Until Further Notice Due to Coronavirus
- Cambridge-Based Moderna, Inc. Launches Phase 1 Study of Potential Coronavirus Vaccine
- Horowitz: State & Local Leaders Step Up on Coronavirus
- Memorial Hospital Will Not Be Used for Coronavirus Overflow, Says State
- WATCH LIVE: Monday Coronavirus Update with Raimondo and Rhode Island Officials
- 9 Major Coronavirus Developments—March 16, 2020
- UPDATED: Fed Slashes Rates to Near Zero to Fight Coronavirus Slowdown
- Cranston Priest Says “Devil” Wants Mass Canceled for Coronavirus, Has Teens Wipe Down Church
- WATCH LIVE: Vice President Pence Press Briefing on Coronavirus Now Delayed to 3:30 PM
- Newport Daffodil Days Festival Canceled Due to Coronavirus
- 11 Major Coronavirus Developments—March 17, 2020
- White House Considering Giving Americans Checks to Combat Economic Impact of Coronavirus
- RI is Most Aggressive State in Fighting Coronavirus, According to Report
- 2 New Coronavirus Cases in RI, Total Now 23: Raimondo Urges RI to Ready for Continuation of Crisis
- Suspend Internet Sales Taxes to Battle Economic Impact of Coronavirus, Says RI Advocacy Group
- 12 Major Coronavirus Developments—March 18, 2020
- Raimondo to Address Schools at RI Coronavirus Update: WATCH LIVE
- Trinity Rep Cancels Remainder of 2019-20 Season Due to Coronavirus
- Providence Water Suspends Water Service Shutoffs During Coronavirus Emergency
- WATCH LIVE: Raimondo and Health Officials’ Tuesday 1 PM Coronavirus Update
- BBB Warns of False Advertising, Price Gouging Scams During Coronavirus Outbreak
- United Way, RI Foundation Establish Coronavirus Response Fund to Support Nonprofits
- RI Attorney General’s Office to Remain Open, Fully Operational During Coronavirus Concerns
- Warren Urges Trump to Direct Army Corps to Build Temporary Medical Facilities to Fight Coronavirus