Biden One of “Luckiest” Politicians in Country - and Who Could Be VP Pick: Lawless LIVE
Wednesday, March 11, 2020
“Biden might be among the luckiest politicians in the country — there were a confluence of events that really helped him,” said Lawless, noting the endorsement from Jim Clyburn in South Carolina could “not be underestimated.”
The second event — “Mike Bloomberg’s horrific first debate performance,” said Lawless.GET THE LATEST BREAKING NEWS HERE -- SIGN UP FOR GOLOCAL FREE DAILY EBLAST
Lawless also spoke to potential Vice President picks for Biden and Bernie Sanders -- if he makes it past Tuesday's results.
"There’s not much evidence that they ultimately matter, but part of the reason they might not matter is because the candidate picked the right person," said Lawless. "So even if there had been a horrific pick maybe that could have mattered, but even when John McCain picked Sarah Palin — ultimately she wasn’t a drain on the ticket, she actually shored up his credentials among evangelical voters."
"Amy Klobuchar is the best bet, and most likely Kamala Harris is way up on that list — Biden said he’s going to choose a woman, so those two are obvious women," said Lawless.
Path Forward for Sanders?
"If [Sanders] loses all six states, coupled with losses last week in Massachusetts and Minnesota where there was no reason that Biden should have won those races, it’s hard to see a path forward," said Lawless.
"[Biden winning six states Tuesday night] would almost definitely secure a majority of the delegates for Biden which would put to rest the discussions of a contested or brokered convention," she added.
Coronavirus in Focus
"Ultimately this is going to be Donald Trump’s failure — there’s no question that the early way he handled it and dismissed the severity of the situation was incorrect, and was based on false information," said Lawless.
"There’s no question there are administrative officials contradicting what he says on a regular basis. There was no need for this -- if he would have demonstrated an ability to recognize a crisis and move forward with solving it — that actually could have worked to his advantage."
University of Virginia Professor of Political Science Jennifer Lawless appeared on GoLocal LIVE on “mini” Super primary Tuesday to predict what could happen if former Vice President Joe Biden had a big night.
- Lawless: Trump Tweet Attacks During Upcoming Democratic Debates Could Be Fodder for Candidates
- Buttigieg’s “Ridiculous” Supreme Court Proposal—UVA’s Lawless on LIVE
- “This is Now a Four Person Race” in Democratic 2020 Primary, Says Lawless on LIVE
- “Trump’s Wrong and He’s Racist,” Says UVA’s Lawless on LIVE
- Biden vs. Harris Round Two - What to Watch in Wednesday’s Democratic Debate: Lawless on LIVE
- Biden’s Support of ’94 Crime Bill Was a “Different Time” - UVA’s Lawless on LIVE
- Irony Not Lost on Trump Calling Out “Creepy Uncle Joe” Biden: Lawless on LIVE
- “No One Works in the White House Anymore” - Lawless on Latest Trump Administration Departures
- How Much More Do Republicans Need: UVA’s Lawless LIVE
- House Judiciary Impeachment Hearing Scheduled - What to Expect Next Week: UVA’s Lawless LIVE
- Who Will Drop Out Next? Lawless on Harris’ Departure from Dem 2020 Primary LIVE
- Hillary Clinton is Incredibly Well-Liked and Popular - When She’s Not Running: Lawless LIVE
- Pelosi’s AOC Jabs Intended For Trump and 2020 — Lawless on LIVE
- Biden’s Challenge Will Be Demonstrating Ability to Look to the Future—Lawless on LIVE
- Trump’s “Hypocritical” Politicizing of Dayton Shooting: UVA’s Lawless on LIVE
- Sanders “Taking Page from Trump Playbook and Blaming Media” - UVA’s Lawless LIVE
- Democrats Trying to Have Their Cake and Eat it Too: UVA’s Lawless on LIVE
- “Keep an Eye on the Undoing of Donald Trump”—UVA’s Lawless on LIVE
- Voters Don’t Care if Biden’s Too Old, Voters Want to Beat Donald Trump: UVA’s Lawless LIVE
- What to Watch for in Tonight’s Democratic Debate: UVA’s Lawless on LIVE
- Will Giuliani, Pompeo Comply With Subpoenas - And What That Means: UVA’s Lawless LIVE
- NEW: Leading Political Scientist Lawless on Key Takeaways from Impeachment Proceedings