RI Business Leaders React to Raimondo’s Coronavirus Announcement of Partial Shutdown

Friday, November 20, 2020

 

View Larger +

Governor Gina Raimondo’s announcement on Thursday of a partial shutdown raised concerns of a range of businesses. The announcement picks winners and losers.

Raimondo said, “Over the last two months, we’ve tried to be as targeted as possible in our restrictions, so that we could keep our economy open and keep Rhode Islanders safe. Unfortunately, what we’ve done to date hasn’t been effective enough.”

Dr. Michael Fine, the former RI Director of Health criticized the “targeted” restrictions when they were announced last month and called them "too little, too late."

GET THE LATEST BREAKING NEWS HERE -- SIGN UP FOR GOLOCAL FREE DAILY EBLAST

Rhode Island has seen significant increase in positive coronavirus cases in mid-September and it took Raimondo two months for her to act.

 

Kristin Adamo, President & CEO of the Providence Warwick Convention & Visitors Bureau Tweeted:

“Remember, w/ @RIConvention becoming a field hospital, the timeline for reopening just got longer. We run the risk of not being ready to go when meetings resume. Potential to lose millions. Not saying this as a criticism of the decision. Saying it to implore people to follow rules.”

 

Matt Espeut of Providence Fit Body Boot Camp tells GoLocal:

"So we got the news today that the state or should I say most of the state will be shut down for two weeks beginning November 30.

How will affect me personally, and from a business level?

Well it’s not going to be easy, and I am obviously not happy about it, but the good news is that we have a little over a week to prepare for it. 

From a business standpoint, there is a lot of uncertainty looming, but from a personal level, there is no excuse to let your health and fitness fall off. 

I don’t have full control of the outcome of the business and how it will affect our bottom line, but from a personal level, what we can control is how we respond on a physical, mental and emotional level."

 

Evan Smith, President and CEO of Discover Newport said:

"While all the new restrictions will make doing business even harder, we’re grateful that the Governor listened to input from industry leaders. The compromise is not perfect, but it could have been much, much worse!"

 

Ed Brady owner of the Thirsty Beaver restaurant and others says:

“I think she’s listening and she’s making improvements on how she is making these announcements

However, obviously we know restaurants can’t survive on 33 percent capacities. CARES Act funding needs to be released to small businesses that need it.”

 

Robert I. Burke, owner of Pot au Feu says:

"Not only does this approach reward those who have invested in safety it also creates a great incentive for other businesses to step up their game."

Governor Gina Raimondo’s announcement on Thursday of a partial shutdown raised concerns of a range of businesses. The announcement picks winners and losers.

Raimondo said, “Over the last two months, we’ve tried to be as targeted as possible in our restrictions, so that we could keep our economy open and keep Rhode Islanders safe. Unfortunately, what we’ve done to date hasn’t been effective enough.”

Dr. Michael Fine, the former RI Director of Health criticized the “targeted” restrictions when they were announced last month and called them "too little, too late."

 
 

Enjoy this post? Share it with others.

 
 

Sign Up for the Daily Eblast

I want to follow on Twitter

I want to Like on Facebook